From the thriving Metropolis of Chitina, the McCarthy Road follows the old Copper River & Northwestern Railway route to McCarthy & Kennecott. This old timber trestle bridge, circa 1907-1910, is one reminder of the old railroad.
The CR&NW ran 196 miles from Kennecott to Cordova, with 129 bridges, and carried over 207 million dollars of copper ore from 1907 to 1938.
Many of the rails and ties are still visible, and quite a few tires have gone flat on the gravel road from driving over railroad spikes.
Leave a Reply